Snarky Detective and Lawman
Anyone who has interacted with Ser Gruff in a legal context knows him to be rough-but-fair, and generally honest/not-corrupt. Those who work with/under him know him to be a bit unforgiving, almost to the point of verbally-abusive, but otherwise looks after his people.
- Family wasn't particularly successful but obsessed with money; Gruff was married into money for business reasons, and the couple never really clicked.
- Oversees district bailiffs, handles felony/royal cases
- +Sergeant-at-Mace, his right-hand man
- Works closely with the coroners on investigative cases
- Beknighted some time ago by His Majesty for his prior law-enforcement successes (as warden and/or bailiff)
- Primary: His (family) business is in deep financial trouble, and he's been procrastinating against making a hard call to deal with it—leaving the shrievalty to displace his father as head of the business.
- Secondary: The City Fathers are resisting his attempts to get them to pass jurisdiction-related edict(s) that would untie his hands so he can do his job more effectively.
- Bum leg; walks with a cane